9/6/12

Things to Read - Chapter Book Reviews from a 1st Grader

untitled (28 of 28).jpg

F basically spent the whole summer reading, which isn't surprising if you know her. I always try to encourage my kids to read, if only because I like to read and, like most people, i want my kids to be like me, but F's the only one who really seems to NEED books, as in she has a hard time getting through the days without one. Sometimes I wish she'd look around more, enjoy the moment, actually PLAY at a playground. But she's very similar to me in her bookishness, which I recognize is not a necessarily a good thing. Maybe that's why I spent the whole summer road tripping from place to place, forcing us to live our own experiences instead of reading about other people's. Embrace life and all the other cliches. By us, I mean F and me, because P and T always embrace moments - sometimes strangling them to death, but still they're IN IT, whereas F and I always sit on the outside and watch. When you first have kids you think you can control so much, but in the end they are who they are. I'm not sure if it's easier or harder when that means they're almost exactly like you.

Anyways, I asked F to write up a few reviews of her favorite chapter books, here's the scoop:

The Boxcar Children - I liked that they finish the mysteries. And I like that they take care of each other - Henry works for money, Violet takes care of Benny. (Click here to see the books).

Judy Moody - She's really funny. She wanted an extreme pet from the rainforest, they ran out of sloths so she got a venus flytrap and her brother, Stink, almost killed it. (Click here to see the books).

Anna Hibiscus - She is really kind and fixes problems when she makes mistakes. And she lives in Africa. (Click here to see the books).

Junie B. Jones - She is really funny - hilarious. Instead of saying "it's okay" she gives people a pat on the head and tells them they can't do things as well as her. (Click here to see the books).

Any recommendations for other good chapter book series for younger readers? We could use some new material.

BOOK LINKS:

*An election map by book, check out what both parties are reading. This is pretty cool.

*100 Best Children's Chapter Books of All Time.

3 comments:

  1. Jennifer Swift BowersSeptember 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM

    We will go hunt for the Anna Hibiscus ones immediately! Thanks so much for posting about them.
    Our fave chapter books revolve around ponies.... They aren't that good! Horse Heroes: True Stories of Amazing Horses by Kate Perry was worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cowgirl Kate and CoCo by Besty Lewin is another good horse chapter book series for young readers (k-2 grade). Mercy Watson has also been a favorite of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. E loves the Catwings books by Ursula Le Guin. I've heard the Mercy Watson series by Kate DiCamillo is good so that's next on our list. We'll have to check out the Anna Bibiscus series.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...