7/29/13

Places to Go (Vacation) - Geocaching at the Lake (Snowshoe, WV)

laketop

We spent 4th of July weekend in Snowshoe, WV with Dan's parents at the resort's annual bluegrass festival, which has become something of a family tradition over the past few years (click here for all my Snowshoe posts). As always, we took the ski lift down to Shaver Lake (odd that my children have become proficient in riding a ski lift, yet have never skied). But this year the girls, my mother-in-law, and I decided to try something different and check out Snowshoe's geocaches. I've wanted to take the kids geocaching for awhile now, but I have an awful sense of direction and, thus, am nervous we'll fail to find the caches. But Not-So-SAHM's recent posts have inspired me to get out and try (check out her AWESOME review of the DC mural cache here). I figured Snowshoe would be a good place to start, as the resort places all the caches and Snowshoe promises that most of the caches are easy to find. Plus, I've wanted to hike around the lake for a few years now, but I needed some sort of motivational tool to inspire the kids.

On the upside, the girls LOVED finding the first five or so caches (there are 10 total, hidden along a 1.2 mile path), but eventually they became somewhat bored with it, especially since the caches only contain generic red plastic coins. And I found Snowshoe's GPS somewhat tricky to use, so it took us awhile to get the hang of things. But the hike itself was gorgeous - leading us from dark, almost black, forests - like somewhere out of a fairy tale - to beautiful green meadows housing millions of wild flowers.

So maybe we'll start trying to find some local caches. At least that's the goal.

HAPPY MONDAY EVERYONE!!

margie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...