2/12/15

Things to Read - On the Bookshelf (Februrary 2015)

Painted in Waterlogue

For some reason, pretty much every novel I've read recently has centered on family relationships, often through the perspective of depressed middle-age women. Interestingly enough, most of these books about unhappy middle age women are written by men. Why is this?

1. This Is Where I Leave You - This book is funny/sad with quirky, witty sentences that makes it hard to put down (Trooper's prose reminds me of David Sedaris, but fictional). Sort of predictable and not entirely original. But still a great easy read about about four siblings sitting shiva after their father's death.

2. Freedom - This is the best book I've read in a long time and even though I finished a few weeks ago, I can't get this novel out of my head. It's about families and relationships and all of the random things that pull and push people apart (i.e "freedom"). Almost every character in the book does something vaguely awful. And almost everyone goes through severe periods of unhappiness. I hope life really isn't really this bleak (it hasn't seemed this bleak so far). But still you should read it. Now.

3. Wonderland - I tried to enjoy this book. The plot sounded interesting enough - a middle age female rockstar's comeback tour. And I liked the writing - a very poetic internal dialogue. But every time I went to pick up Wonderland I found myself doing random chores instead (emptying the dishwasher, cleaning the floors, etc.). So I never ended up finishing this book, even though I didn't actively dislike it.

4. Yes Please - I love Amy Poehler and I loved reading her book. Not that this surprises me or anyone else.

5. We Are Not Ourselves - Warning - this book is sad. And it's another book about a strong, yet depressed middle aged woman written by a man. And about how sometimes life hands you circumstances that are entirely beyond your control. You do your best. They did their best. It's a good read.
_______

Okay, I'm finally running out of books from my post-broken foot Amazon shopping spree. Any suggestions for some new reads?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...