11/30/10

Things to Make - Shrinky Dinks

shrinkydinks

When I was a little girl, one of my absolute favorite activities was shrinky dinks. I loved watching through the oven window as the figures folded up and became smaller, it seemed magical. So imagine my excitement when, a few weeks ago, while shopping at A.C. Moore, I discovered Alex's Shrinky Dink kits. When I introduced them to the girls at first they hesitated. "So it's a doll that we cook? That's sort of weird." But they went with it. And then they started to smile. F loved her charm doll so much that she insisted we return to the store to buy the exact same kit and repeat the project the next day. So we did. Now we have quite a few shrinky dink dolls loitering around our house. By the way, I'm not sure if I find it amusing or disturbing that my kids hate jeans so much that F chose to connect the doll's shirt directly to her shoes rather than use the jeans that the kit came with (see the doll on the right). I, on the other hand, pretty much live in blue jeans.

If you're interested, Amazon sells quite a few kits (pictured below). I've already ordered the holiday ones, I'm hoping to try those out this week. I also think, for girls, the jewelry kit looks fun. Or, insects for the boys. Wow, I can't believe I just divided shrinky dinks into sex-based categories. After years spent believing in women's equality, parenthood has made me into a sexist. So sad. (Click on the photo to enter Amazon)

Shrinky Dinks Holiday Fun
Alex Toys Shrinky Dinks Kit, Jewelry
Shrinky Dinks - Insects

GREAT CRAFT PROJECTS AROUND THE WEB:

*A Passion for Play posts a great (and simple) idea for encouraging children to enjoy art. I'm hoping to try it out in the next few weeks.

*Regarding complex craft projects, this year I don't think I'm motivated enough to create an activity-orientated advent calendar, but I love the idea and I'm keeping it in mind for next year.

*I really like this marbleized paper project from Tinker Lab, now if I only had some eye droppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...