5/9/11

Places to Go (Vacation) - Fort Necessity in the Laurel Highlands (Farmington, PA)

fort
run

On the last day of vacation we toured Fort Necessity (which looks more like a shack than a fortress). In the summer of 1754, the battle at Fort Necessity between French, British, and Indian troops marked the beginning of the French Indian War. Further, it kicked off George Washington's military career (for more on the background, click here). In my opinion unless you're a huge military history fan (which I'm not) national battlefields are often a little boring. Fort Necessity, however, is not boring. The fort includes a really nice museum, with exhibits that both frame the background of the conflict and document the surrounding area throughout the years, so you can learn about Indian culture and the advent of roads, trains, etc. Outside a small playground contains a covered wagon and a mini-fort, both of which my children liked running through. Plus, the grounds of the fort are truly stunning. I can't think of a better place to take a picnic basket and relax all afternoon. If it weren't for the impending rain, we could have explored all morning - the girls especially loved digging with sticks through the small creekbeds. If you're in the area, I highly suggest a visit.

trees
If you can't tell by the pictures, on the LAST DAY of our vacation T's cold went away and he started to enjoy our outings. I'm glad I have a few pictures of him playing and smiling. I'm also glad I don't have any pictures of my undereye bags, which pretty much touched the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...