12/20/11

Things to Make - Christmas Cookies

box
The key is apparently mass quantities of butter.

roll

One of these days I'll buy a rolling pin. Hopefully.


Do you Pinterest? On one hand, Pinterest may be the most addictive site ever. You can lose hours, if not days. In the world of Pinterest, all thoughts/ideas/recipes/wonder becomes reduced to a single picture, epitomizing the idea that the outside really matters (not only are we judging books by their covers, most of the time we're not even bothering to read the book). And some days the whole Pinterest ideology seems so daunting. It doesn't matter if you're the best cook in the world, if you can't style food then forget it. And when it comes to children Pinterest creates a world in which everyone's offspring spend their days smiling in mini-Boden while their mom makes sandwiches beautiful enough to hang in an art gallery as they play with aromatic homemade playdough. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mocking perfect parenting. At all. I aspire. Boy do I aspire (to what? I'm not sure, but that's a whole other post). I recently photographed homemade soap against a white background, I have no room to judge (and, yes, my photos were pinned!! yay me!!).

Anyways, I've written before about how I can't make cookies. And browsing through the perfect cookies on Pinterest only discouraged me more. So, while shopping at Trader Joes, I picked up a box of Christmas Cookie mix, packaged with sprinkles and frosting. We had so much fun that I've already purchased another - incredibly yummy - box. F might even have a future in baking. So I know this is a lame post. No family recipe. No new insights. Even the pics are just okay. Totally unpinterestable. But I'm okay with that. Because parenting isn't about perfection, it's about showing up. Even with a premade mix.

(And yes, if you're wondering, I borrowed that whole "parenting is showing up" line from Modern Family, my current source for words of wisdom, along with and Pinterest, of course.)

girls

The girls work well together, despite the fact that F's so serious and P's so not.

sprinkle

T woke up in time to sprinkle. Trust me, they taste MUCH better than they look.



1 comment:

  1. The important thing is- you made cookies! It's so much fun for the kids- even if they are not perfectly shaped like in those beautiful pictures of food-blogs and recipe-books...
    I made only one kind this year and Neomi kept asking to make more... hopefully next year.
    Have a wonderful time!
    Rahel (under-the-pecan-tree)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...