Things to Watch - 7 Great TV Comedies on Netflix Streaming
1. Freaks and Geeks - Sadly, this show only lasted one perfect season. While not a comedy per se, I often laughed (and sometimes cried). High school is hard.
2. Parks and Recreation - Leslie Knope is my hero. Seriously.
3. The League - I keep telling everyone that this is, without a doubt, the absolute funniest show on TV. Probably ever. If you're not watching it, you are missing out.
4. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Watching It's Always Sunny feels similar to eating high-calorie cheesecake, in that the experience seems wonderful in the moment, but afterwards I feel bad about myself.** Oh well, there are nine seasons and we've watched every one.
5. Arrested Development - We almost named F May Be after our favorite character on Arrested Development (which, in retrospect, would have been a disaster once Carly Ray Jepsen dominated the pop charts). We're currently rewatching all the original episodes and laughing A LOT.
6. The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The theme song alone is awesome. As are the show titles, "Kimmy rides a bike!", "Kimmy goes on a date!", "Kimmy kisses a boy!". Truly a show worthy of the exclamation marks in every episode.
7. How the States Got Their Shapes - History made amusing.
So what did I miss? What are you watching?
** The show's Wikipedia page describes this ickiness in more detail, "Each member of the gang shows varying degrees of dishonesty, egotism, selfishness, greed, pettiness, ignorance, laziness and unethical behavior, and they are often engaged in controversial activities. Episodes usually find them hatching elaborate schemes, conspiring against one another and others for personal gain, vengeance, or simply for the entertainment of watching one another's downfall. They habitually inflict mental, emotional and physical pain. They regularly use blackmail to manipulate one another and others outside of the group.
Their unity is never solid - any of them would quickly dump any one of the others for quick profit or personal gain regardless of the consequences. Everything they do results in contention among themselves and much of the show's dialogue involves the characters arguing or yelling at one another. Despite their lack of success or achievement, The Gang maintain high opinions of themselves and display an obsessive interest in their own reputations and public images. Despite this high sense of self-worth, The Gang has no sense of shame when attempting to get what they want and often engages in activities which others would find humiliating, disgusting, or even preposterous, such as smoking crack cocaine in order to qualify for welfare, seducing a priest, driving while eating cereal, hiding naked inside a leather couch in order to spy on someone, and even foraging in the sewers for rings and coins."