7/19/11

Things to Make - Chalk Paint & Water Murals

shade

One of our top go-to activities this summer has been chalk paint, which I read about on the Frugal Family Fun blog. The kids all love mixing the colors to make their own paint, plus their drawings actually last for a few days on the sidewalk.

Here's the scoop:

1. Mix cornstarch and water in a 1:1 ratio. The exact ratio isn't too important so you can wing it somewhat. These are also the ingredients for goo, so ideally you could make goo first and when the kids get bored with that add some water and make paint.

2. Divide the above mixture into small cups and put a few drops of liquid watercolor or food coloring in each cup. Mix.

3. Paint your sidewalks.

bright

Of course, some days even chalk paint seems too complicated, so we've also spent a lot of time making water murals on the decks and sidewalks. All three kids seem to love this and there's no clean up required, plus I personally find it calming to draw things and watch them disappear.

water

CREATIVE IDEAS FROM AROUND THE WEB:

*I love these paper flowers, plus they look super easy to make.

*I think billy button flowers are so pretty, so I really want to try making this felt version.

*Wildflower crowns - how beautiful.

*Cardboard box houses - this doesn't look too complicated.

*Swirly stones - heat the stones and color on them with melted crayon.

*Glow in the dark firefly jars, magical.

*Brown paper bag hanging stars. Awesome.

*This homemade solar system project looks like so much fun, plus the results are beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the idea! I did this and put pictures on my blog. I tried this with my school agers (ages 4-9) and they LOVED it. I now have a new go-to for when we're bored. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...