12/21/10

Things to Make - Coffee Filter Snowflakes

threesnowflakes

Let's face it, cutting squares into circles is hard work. Why not just start with a circle? I wish I could take credit for this idea, but I owe all inspiration to the Artful Parent. The girls' snowflake cutting skills need improvement, but they loved painting everything. In the end, our snowflakes did not really resemble actual snowflakes, but we had a lot of fun and that's what matters.

HAPPY SOLSTICE EVERYONE!! I found a great article on historical solstice traditions (in several cultures) click here to check it out. And, of course, Wikipedia has a ton of great information on the solstice. Click here.

I don't know of any solstice celebrations in the DC area, but here are 4 fabulous light displays that you might want to check out:
1. Zoolights (National Zoo, Washington D.C.)- We went to this last week, it was crowded but the lights were quite lovely
2. The National Christmas Tree (Washington D.C.) - lots of "little" trees for all the states, plus a great model railroad exhibit
3. The Garden of Lights at Brookside Gardens (Wheaton, MD) - I've never been to their light display, but I've heard it's amazing
4. Bull Run Festival of Lights (Centreville, VA) - We visited this light display over the weekend. T's fever kept us homebound for the most part, so I was really thankful for a "drive through" Christmas activity. If you do want to leave the car, admission includes entry into a winter carnival.

two

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...