Things to Do - Grateful List (July 2016)
Wow, July seems forever ago. Summer is so short and crazy long at the same time. I'm exhausted. But there's only one more week of summer vacation to go!
We're restarting our collaborative blog, 5 Hours Til' Bedtime with a new format! Check it out here!
Have a great weekend everyone!!
* ET in the neighbors' back yard
* Listening to Bob Dylan's latest album, Fallen Angels
* Watching OJ - Made in America
* Attending Bob Dylan and Mavis Staples with our friends at Wolf Trap
* Attending Icebergs and the Dollhouse exhibit at the Building Museum
* Reading Emma Cline's The Girls
* Pepita Cantina for a moms' night
* My new Oontz bluetooth speaker (perfect for vacation)
* A not-too-hot morning at the zoo (esp. the Washed Ashore sculptures - so cool!)
* Dori's BBQ for the weekend of the 4th
* Hosting a sleepover the night before we left for vacation and the kids staging a Hunger Games contest between boys and girls (all the weapons were placed on the sidewalk and everyone only had a few seconds to grab one).
* Playing Pandemic (F and I are somewhat addicted).
VACATION (Road trip)
Day 1 - Arlington to Asheville
* P - "I feel like we're driving through broccoli."
* Cucumber vodka drinks at dinner
* All three kids getting along
Day 2 - Asheville
* The Hop ice cream
* The Biltmore's gardens
* Dinner at Tupelo Honey
* "I think all these grilled cheeses are horrible, I guess I'm to used to Virginia grilled cheese, which is always good." - T
Day 3 - Asheville to Nashville
* Riding a boat through an underground lake at the Lost Sea Adventure
* Watching Say Anything with the kids (it was on cable)
* A rental apartment with guitars!
Day 4 - Nashville
* The best puppet show I've ever seen (at the Country Music Hall of Fame)
* Recording songs and the kids' excitement over Taylor Swift memorabilia (the Country Music Hall of Fame)
* Floating in the pool while the kids all played TOGETHER for 2 hours
* Dinner at Rosepepper Cantina and conversations about the kids when they were toddlers
Day 5 - Nashville to Memphis
* Crepes at the Red Bicycle
* Our cool, bohemian airbnb
* Farmers market arugula for dinner (yum)
Day 6 - Graceland
* F playing Elvis records all afternoon
* The Jungle Room
* Dan arrives!!!
Day 7 - The Civil Rights Museum/Little Rock/drive to Arkadelphia
* The awesome dance with T
* Little Rock's riverfront park
* Tabouli at the riverfront market
Day 8 - Arkadelphia to Oklahoma City
* Tubing in Arkadelphia
* T, during the 6 hour drive - "I'm so bored I'm making up terrible Christmas carols."
Day 9 - OKC
* A lazy morning reading books in the backyard while Dan grocery shopped
* An afternoon to myself shopping and yoga (Yogalab!!) followed by the kids and Dan making me dinner (so yummy!)
Day 10 - OKC - Palo Duro Canyon, Texas
* The Chihuly exhibit at the Oklahoma City Art Museum
* Hiking, Ogosporting, and Kan Jamming at our cabin
* T flying his new airplane everywhere (best $5 we've ever spent, you can buy them here)
* Star gazing
Day 11 - Palo Duro to Alberquerque
* DJing while dan drove
* Tinkertown!! (esp. the kids' fortunes - P = movie star, F = dishwasher, T = school teacher)
* The clouds on 1-40W (like the sky was attacking us)
Day 12 - Albuquerque to Santa Fe
* Hiking Rinconada Trail in Petroglyph National Park (it was crazy hot, but pretty)
* Our most gorgeous airbnb ever
* Rum and coke by the pool
Day 13 - Santa Fe
* Horseback riding in Santa Fe National Forest
* A lazy afternoon by the pool
Day 14 - Santa Fe
* The hammock
* Allie and her three (crazy) sons visiting for the day
Day 15 - 24 Hour Rafting Trip on the Rio Grande
* Pre rafting drinks at Blue Heron Brewery
* "The rating unicorns"
* Brandon, our guide, who made a wonderful dinner for us!
* Hiking with P on the trail across from our campsite
* T - "I think the mellow forward seems to be what our family is good at."
* Dan and T fishing together at the campsite (they were both so happy)
Day 16 - New Mexico to Durango, CO
* The most gorgeous drive ever!
* Working together as a family in the rapids
* A fantastic breakfast (thanks Brandon!) at our campsite
Day 17 - Durango
* Hiking the CO trail with Allie and her kids
* Yoga Durango's 4:30 class!
* The kids all playing Coup together while the adults drank wine on the porch outside
Day 18 - Durango
* Hiking Animas Mountain - yes it was hot and the kids complained constantly and we kept getting lost, but at least we're teaching them grit
* A final, mellow night at the house
Day 19 - Durango to Mesa Verde
* Dan saw a bobcat while fishing outside Durango
* Durango's fish hatchery
* Campsites with shade
* Camping Kan Jam
* Grilled chicken on Allison's camp stove
* Sunset from the Knife's Edge trail (so pretty!)
* Friendly deer outside the restrooms
Day 20 - Mesa Verde
* Our Cliff Palace and Balcony house tours
* Walking with P around the campground at night
* THE STARS!!!!
Day 21 - Mesa Verde to Broomfield, CO
* Arriving at Sarah and Lyle's house to an awesome bbq with our friends (thank you!!)
* A gorgeous drive and watching thunderstorms in the mountains
Day 22 - Broomfield
* Drinks on Carolyn's porch after the pool
* All my friends kids bonding with my kids
* The girls making a movie of Sleeping Beauty with Sophia (the queen wanted to steal Sleeping Beauty's smarts)