3/26/13

Things to Make - Natural Easter Egg Dye

untitled (37 of 47).jpg

We rarely dye Easter eggs (mom guilt). Often we vacation around this time, so I can use that as an excuse. But truthfully I hate hard boiled eggs and the obligation to eat several of them usually weighs me down, so I avoid the whole scenario. Luckily lately both Dan and T cannot stop eating any sort of egg, so without any excuses holding me back, we had a job to do.

I've wanted to make natural egg dye ever since reading this post. We borrowed the recipes used by Sweet Fine Day and the colors turned out beautiful and vibrant. And the kids' all loved following the recipes - now I'm trying to decide what to do with the leftover dye - any suggestions?

Here's the scoop:

Ingredients: red cabbage, red beets, turmeric, eggs (preferably white)

1. Follow the recipes below to make the dye:

Blue: Simmer 4 cups of water with 1 small red cabbage (roughly chopped) for 15 minutes.

Red: Simmer 4 cups of water with 2 medium red beets (grated) for 15 minutes.

Yellow: Bring 4 cups of water to a boil and stir in 1/4 cup turmeric. Boil for 1 more minute.

2. After each of the mixtures have cooled down, mix in 1/4 cup white vinegar and strain each of the colors into bowls for dyeing.

3. Leave the eggs overnight - refrigerated- in the color bath.

4. Eat (or, if you're like me, don't eat)


HAPPY TUESDAY EVERYONE!!

untitled (3 of 47).jpg

untitled (35 of 47).jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...