6/25/13

Things to Make - Gwyneth's NY Street Vendor Salad

untitled (7 of 8).jpg

I have to admit, I sort of like Gwyneth Paltrow. Yes, sometimes she does seem a teensy bit full of herself (don't we all?), but she's also a sharer (loved the story about the see through dress, the razor, and rocking a seventies vibe) and, as you've probably noticed, I am also somewhat of an oversharer, so I like this about her. Plus, she's a fellow blogger. Thus I spent two months on the library waiting list to finally check out her new cookbook - It's All Good: Delicious, Easy Recipes That Will Make You Look Good and Feel Great. And, seriously, the food is fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. Granted, I'm not sure Gwyneth needed to include a picture of herself on nearly every page (I get it Gwyneth you're gorgeous, we all GET IT), but still I've made four of the recipes thus far and they're incredible (though I did have to scavenger hunt myself through Whole Foods to find some of the ingredients). I'm even considering trying her elimination diet.

In particular, I can't stop eating this relatively easy salad. If you like hummus, you'll love the dressing (which keeps for about a week). It's addictive, trust me. So thank you, Gwyneth, thank you!

Salad:
4 servings -

1 large head of romaine , chopped
A handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 an English cucumber, chopped and diced
1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
(I also added 1 cup of canned chickpeas)

*Place the lettuce in a large bowl and combine with 1/4 cup of the dressing. Add the rest of the ingredients to the lettuce. Drizzle remaining dressing on top.

Yogurt-Tahini Dressing (so so yummy)
Makes 1 cup -

2 tablespoons tahini
1/4 cup boiling water
1/2 small garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup plain sheep's or goat's milk yogurt or Vegenaise (all of which are available at Whole Foods) (Gwyneth is anti-cow's-milk-dairy, but you can also use plain yogurt).
3 tablespoons lemon juice (preferably freshly squeezed)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

*Whisk the tahini and water together until completely smooth. Whisk in the remaining ingredients. Keeps in the fridge in a jar for up to a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...