Things to Make - Homemade Peach Ice Cream
This summer I purchased an ice cream maker and I'm a little obsessed with it. I went with this cheap, easy model, which is pretty fun to use. You just add the ice cream mixture to a frozen canister and then surround the canister with ice and rock salt (which you can buy through Amazon). Turn on the motor and half an hour later, voila - ice cream. For some reason I find this oddly fascinating.
Anyways, I keep experimenting with different recipes and types (sorbets, ice cream with eggs, no cook, etc.). But my favorite so far is this recipe for peach ice cream (adopted from various sources), it's just so good:
HOMEMADE PEACH ICE CREAM:
INGREDIENTS: 6 large peaches (ripe), 1.5 tablespoons lemon juice, sugar, 1.5 cups whole milk, 1.5 cups heavy cream, 4 egg yolks, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
1. Cut up 3 peaches (I like to leave the skins on), remove the pit. Place in a blender with 1.5 tablespoons of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Blend. Refrigerate.
2. Combine milk, 1 cup cream, and 3 peaches cut up peaches (no pits) in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until slightly thickened. Don't boil.
3. Combine egg yolks, 1/2 cup of sugar, and 1/2 cup of cream in a bowl. Whisk.
4. Whisk 1/2 cup of the milk mixture into the egg mixture above. Whisk. Combine both mixtures. Pour into saucepan. Cook and stir for 4-6 minutes. DON'T BOIL. Add vanilla. Refrigerate for 3-24 hours (until cold).
5. Pour custard into ice cream canister. Mix. Add the reserved peach mixture (step 1) after about 15-20 minutes (when nearly frozen).
6. Transfer mix to freezer until firm.
Does anyone else make homemade ice cream? Any tips or suggestions?