5/20/14

Things to Make - Veggie Dinner Night (No, I'm not joking)

veg (1 of 1)

Last week, for dinner, I decided to try something new - veggie night. At first the kids (and Dan) thought I was joking. And then they complained (even Dan). A lot. I could pretend that my motivation centered on teaching my children about good food, but, honestly, I am so sick of all the dinnertime fuss ("wait, I don't like this brand of chicken nuggets, I only like the other brand" or "I like the skinny pasta, not the fat pasta") that I decided to make something I like. And if nobody else liked it, oh well, one night spent going to bed hungry won't exactly kill them.

Then this story became truly crazy. Maybe there was a full moon. Or maybe a magic light shined on our house that night. But everyone (even my husband) LOVED veggie night. They ate everything. Not a single left-over in sight. They even asked if we could do it again. And we did.

So now this is a regular thing, eventually I'll need to vary the menu, but for now here are recipes. (I modified them slightly so everything would bake at the same temperature - 425 degrees.

ROASTED CAULIFLOWER AND CHICKPEAS (adopted slightly my absolutely favorite cookbook - It's All Good: Delicious, Easy Recipes That Will Make You Look Good and Feel Great)

Ingredients:
1 14-ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed, drained and dried with a towel
1 head cauliflower, outer leaves removed and cut into bite-sized florets

1. Toss the chickpeas and cauliflower with 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
2. Roast at 425 degrees for approximately 45 minutes.

MUSTARD SAUCE (my kids didn't eat the sauce, but I LOVE it)

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon seeded mustard
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil

Whisk the mustards, vinegar, and olive oil together. Add in some salt and pepper for taste.

BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH BALSAMIC VINEGAR

Ingredients:
1 pound brussels sprouts, halved
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1. Cut the brussels sprouts in half, and toss with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Roast 30-40 minutes at 425 degrees.

SWEET POTATO FRIES (adapted slightly from CookieandKate)

Ingredients:
3 Sweet potatoes (with the skins on)
Corn starch. A big sprinkle's worth. (optional)
Olive oil. A couple of tablespoons or so. Enough to lightly and evenly coat the fries.

1. Cut the sweet potatoes into rectangles. Try and make all pieces a similar size.
2. Toss the uncooked fries into a mixing bowl or a plastic bag, or just onto your baking sheet. Sprinkle with cornstarch (if using) and pour in a few tablespoons of olive oil, enough to lightly coat the fries. Season with salt, pepper, and spices. I’d try to use half a teaspoon per potato or so. Mix/shake to distribute evenly (corn starch should be evenly mixed in so there are no powdery spots).
3. Arrange your fries in a single layer and don't overcrowd, otherwise they will never crisp up.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, then flip the fries so they can cook on all sides.
5. Bake for 10 to 15 more minutes, or until the fries are crispy. Don't worry if the edges are a little bit brown; they will taste more caramelized than burnt.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...