10/14/10

Things to Read Thursday - Amazing Photography Blogs (Part I) - Mary Robinson & Sabino

I'm out of children's books suggestions for awhile. Okay, so that's a lie, I could recommend children's books every day for the rest of the year, as they seem to dominate my life lately. Truthfully, I just thought it was time for a change. So for the next few weeks, I'll be hosting a series of posts on my favorite photography blogs.

I took up photography as a hobby about four years ago (right after my husband bought me my first SLR camera) and life has never been the same since (wow, I sound even cheesier than usual). When I'm not taking pictures, I spend a lot of time on flickr and the web trying to find photographers who inspire me (many of whom are listed on my blogroll). Of course, the downside of always searching for inspiration is it leads one to constantly question his/her own talent. but then again, I'm learning. and sometimes learning is the best part. Okay, enough said, time for some truly wonderful photos -

balloons butterfly_0014

beljo st mtn kim ani_0014

balloons butterfly_0004

isabel creek_0004

real




Mary Robinson is a 17 old who must ooze creativity out of every pour. Most of her photos involve her sisters and friends in various poses around the neighborhood by her house. Her photos amaze me in that they're all similar yet each photo can stand completely on its own. In other words, her work definitely has a signature to it, but it never becomes repetitive or boring. I especially love how she sometimes incorporates small objects - butterflies and/or tiny-dimestore animals into her work. She just published a book - available at http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1542784 and she sells her prints for INCREDIBLY reasonable prices. I literally cannot stop looking at her work. I log onto her blog almost daily, which she updates at random times.













Sabino's photographs are all very different but yet very similar in that they all make one feel as if something is being alluded to; as if a story, an important story, is being told, yet some of the characters are slightly out of reach. A sense of mystery if you will. Plus, I love how carefully crafted everything in the frame is. I often think how if any of these photos appeared on a book jacket, I would immediately buy the book, regardless of the author or title. Sabino also has a wonderful tumblr account in which he showcases the work of other photographers.

Have a great Thursday everyone! I'll be posting tomorrow. And remember to check back in next Thursday for two more wonderful photography bloggers.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are beautiful photos. I can't believe one of the photographers is only 17.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the work of both photographers! I'm really looking forward to part II now!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...