10/27/11

Things to Read - Chapter Books for Kids & Edward Tulane

cover

I've been working on reading chapter books with the girls for awhile now, but (for the most part) my efforts have failed. I started with Winnie the Pooh, but P lost interest as soon as she couldn't view pictures on every page. We moved onto my favorite series of all time, Paddington Treasury (Paddington Bear), but the girls' minds seemed to be somewhere else. Finally, we struck gold with Pippi Longstocking (Puffin Modern Classics), but by this point reading aloud had begun to tire me out. I realized that what I really wanted was a book that I truly loved. If I could only find something that I didn't want to stop reading, then maybe the girls would catch onto my enthusiasm.

I scanned the shelves and found Kate DiCamillo's The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. I first read this book a few years ago, as an adult (though it's written for children), and the story made a huge impression on me. The book documents the adventures of a self-absorbed china rabbit named Edward Tulane who, throughout various - often sad - escapades, learns how to love. At one point in the story a young girl dies, so, I wondered, could my own kids handle such a tale? And the answer turned out to be yes. Of course, sad stories are always hard to hear. F, in particular, broke down in full-fledged sobs when the mean boys on the boat threw the little girl's rabbit overboard ("why are some boys so mean, mommy? why? I hate when boys act like that."). But she wanted to keep reading (I assured her of a happy ending). After every chapter, even with eyes full of tears, the girls kept repeating "read one more, mommy, please one more." Half way through the book, P figured out the end - "eventually the little girl in the beginning is going to find her rabbit, that's how these stories always go" (which is true), but despite her conviction regarding the book's final pages, she still didn't want me to put the book down. So we finished it in three nights, staying up past bedtime on the last night. I felt wonderful as we all turned the pages together, gripped by the words of the story. And now all three of us love the same book.

What about everyone else? Have you read any chapter books with your children? What would you recommend?

THINGS TO READ FROM AROUND THE WEB
:

*If you're looking for children's books on fall and halloween, click here for my post from last year.

*1Q84. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...