5/16/12

Things to Do - Our 5 Favorite IPhone Apps for Kids

02.11.12 (12 of 74).jpg

I have such mixed feelings about kids and the iphone (and adults and the iphone for that matter). One one hand, it seems like one more gadget - like TV and videogames - that hampers imaginative creative play. On the other hand, the iphone really is a waiting room lifesaver (esp. when I have to take all three kids to the doctor or dentist). Oh well, I'll leave it to the experts to hash out the iphone's influence on society and child rearing (which I'll probably read and repost). When my kids do play with the iphone, here are the five apps they fight over the most (and I mean FIGHT).

1. Cakedoodle - This is listed as number one for a reason. Kids find it addictive. The whole game is as simple as making a cake - the iphone lets you squish the bananas, crack the eggs, pour in the vanilla, etc - decorating a cake, and eating a cake. My kids can play for hours, I kid you not. They also fight over who gets to "eat" the imaginary cake, which boggles me. ($0.99)

2. Toca Doctor - Very odd, yet beautiful graphics with intuitive games (no need for written directions). I've heard great things about the other toca games as well, but have yet to download them. ($1.99)

3. Paper Town Friends - This app is so visually stunning that I play it sometimes. It's a paper doll-type game, with gorgeous illustrations of quirky animals (frogs, ducks, monkeys, etc.). ($1.99)

4. Doodlecast for Kids - Draw pictures using different colors and backgrounds. Then a video plays which recorded you drawing. My kids love it. ($1.99)

5. Balloonimals - Beautiful graphics allow kids to create their own balloon animal by blowing, shaking, and moving the phone. ($1.99)

What about everyone else? Any great app recommendations? We're always looking for new ones.

WEDNESDAY LINKS:

*The pictures on this LOCAL blog blew me away. gorgeous. especially the suprasensorial ones - it's not easy to take great shots in a quirkily lighted museum. wow.

*Looking for something to do this weekend? Check out Claude Moore Colonial Farm's Spring Market Fair and click here to read our review of one of last year's fairs.

*“People always ask me, ‘You have so much confidence. Where did that come from?’ It came from me. One day I decided that I was beautiful, and so I carried out my life as if I was a beautiful girl … It doesn’t have anything to do with how the world perceives you. What matters is what you see. Your body is your temple, it’s your home, and you must decorate it.” —Gabourey Sidibe

*Lovely dreamlike pics of boats in bed.

*Nutcrackers.

1 comment:

  1. Sasha loves Cake Doodle! Haven't heard of the rest, but am going to download a few. Apps are a lifesaver in restaurants - thanks for the recs!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...