1/12/17

Things to Read - Jerusalem

darcytroutman (1 of 1)

Lately I've read/attempted to read a string of bad books. I'm not sure what the problem is - whether age is making me more finicky or whether publishing standards just aren't what they used to be. But all in all, I've been less than thrilled.

So when I stumbled across Guy Delisle's Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City in the library one day, my only goal was to remove myself from the boring fiction comfort zone I'd fallen into and hopefully break my book rut. Instead, I sort of fell in love with this book.

I've always been somewhat fascinated by Jerusalem (isn't everyone?), but also incredibly confused by it (so. many. people. not. getting. along.). And as someone who doesn't practice organized religion, it felt like a place where I didn't belong (spoiler alert - it still feels this way).

Luckily for me, Delisle is also a non-believer. Rather than arrive for religious or political reasons, he lived in Jerusalem because his girlfriend, an employee of Doctor's Without Borders, worked there (hence the book is also a great memoir of Delisle's life as a stay-at-home parent of two children/writer).

Delisle's beautifully illustrated memoir showcases the city's beauty, frustrations, and conflicts (SO MANY CONFLICTS!). Especially all of his drawings of the wall. And it's a pleasure to read. The kind of book that makes you cancel your afternoon plans in order to spend a few more hours on the couch.

Delisle has also written other memoirs about his time in North Korea and Burma, which I can't wait to read as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...