3/15/11

Things to Make - Tissue Paper Flowers

create

So lately we've grown a little obsessed with tissue paper flowers. Maybe I've been living in kidville for too long (maybe???) but I find these flowers incredibly beautiful. I'd even consider giving them to my own friends as presents (sorry everyone, no more gift cards from me). What better way to make someone's day then to hand them a bouquet of hand-made flowers? Okay, so maybe I have been in kidville too long, but if you doubt me then check out this Martha Stewart version. Pretty classy, huh? (link courtesy of Bluebird Baby). I feel if I master the skill while my children are young, I have a real future ahead of me.

Here's the scoop, courtesy of the FrugalFamily Fun Blog (which I highly suggest checking out, tons of great ideas over there); you'll need: tissue paper (different colors), green pipe cleaners, and scissors.

1. Cut 3 or more sheets of tissue paper to a 5x10 size (I suggest starting here, then you can try out different sizes).

2. Stack the papers on top of each other, then fold them accordion style (about 1 inch) until you have one long, thick skinny rectangle. F did all the folding, which she was pretty good at.

3. Twist a pipe cleaner in the middle of the rectangle.

4. Cut the ends of the rectangle - either into diamonds or half circles depending on the look you want (we made diamonds)

5. Separate the layers of paper by hand and watch "the magic happen" - voila! A flower!

We started by giving away bouquets, then F thought it would be fun to plant some of the tissue paper flowers in the ground. Which was fun, until I realized that I don't really like to dig holes. So instead we hung some on our tree (to encourage spring along).
__________________________________

More Art Ideas from Around the Web:

*Click here to learn how to make your own non-toxic watercolors (using kitchen staples). For my posts on things to do with liquid watercolors, click here.

*These paper doll frames are simply gorgeous. I wish they were for sale.

*We've never tried finger knitting, but it sure looks like fun. Click here for the info.

*For St. Patrick's Day - these shamrock prints made from apples are so cute, as are these shamrock stamps made from paper towel rolls.

•Beautiful hand-print whales at MommyCoddle.

*This recycled cup sun catcher looks like something kids would have a great time making.

*I love these make-it-yourself window clings using puffy paint, we might have to try this soon.

plant

1 comment:

  1. well done ! they're very pretty !
    they would make perfect decoration for Easter, too, if you decorate in April...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...